Posted: November 8, 2012
Contact: Will Vandergriff, 465-5284, House Majority Press Secretary
Jeremiah Campbell, 465-5284, House Majority Deputy Press Secretary
(Girdwood) - The Alaska House Majority Caucus has organized for the 28th Alaska Legislature. Representative Mike Chenault, R-Nikiski, returns for a third term as House Speaker. Representative Lance Pruitt, R-Anchorage is the new Majority Leader, and Representative Craig Johnson, R-Anchorage, returns as Rules Chair. Representatives Bill Stoltze, R-Mat-Su/Chugiak, & Alan Austerman, R-Kodiak, are the co-chairs of the House Finance Committee. Representative Peggy Wilson, R-Wrangell, returns as the Majority Whip for a second consecutive term.
I am grateful for the opportunity to return as Speaker.
~ Rep. Mike Chenault
"I am grateful for the opportunity to return as Speaker," Chenault said. "The gavel comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility, and I am confident we will continue to respect and uphold the tradition and powers of the Speaker's Office and Alaska State House."
"We welcome five new members to caucus, and are eager to continue relationship building and educating each other prior to the start of session," Pruitt said. "We will continue focusing on key issues – oil tax reform, affordable energy, quality education, public safety, and responsible investments – and are looking forward to working with the new Senate leadership and Governor to finally push Alaska forward."
We will continue focusing on key issues – oil tax reform, affordable energy, quality education, public safety, and responsible investments – and are looking forward to working with the new Senate leadership and Governor to finally push Alaska forward.
~ Rep. Lance Pruitt
"I'm proud to be back as Rules Chair. It's a very strong caucus and I'm ready to help get to work and move Alaska forward," Johnson said.
"We came together rather well, and I am glad to come back for Southeast Alaska to be a part of the House leadership team," Wilson said.
"This organization represents all regions of Alaska, in a bipartisan spirit, with a strong focus on resource development, relevant and accountable education, and a commitment to work for a stronger economy," Stoltze said.
"I am very pleased that we've been able to form a strong bipartisan Majority that will serve the people of Alaska well," Austerman said. "I am appreciative of the confidence the caucus has placed in me as co-chair for the operational budget of the State of Alaska. I'm looking forward to continuing the efforts of the past co-chairs in structuring a sustainable budget into the future."
The Legislature convenes Jan. 15, 2013 in Juneau.
Finance Committee members are:
- Judiciary – Rep. Wes Keller, R-Wasilla
- Resources – Reps. Eric Feige, R-Chickaloon &
Rep. Dan Saddler, R-JBER/Eagle River
- State Affairs – Rep. Bob Lynn, R-Anchorage
- Health & Social Services – Rep. Pete Higgins, R-Fairbanks
- Labor & Commerce – Rep. Kurt Olson, R-Soldotna/Kenai
- Transportation – Rep. Peggy Wilson, R-Wrangell
- Education – Rep. Lynn Gattis, R-Wasilla
- Community & Regional Affairs – Rep. Ben Nageak, D-Barrow & Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux, R-Anchorage
Special & Joint Committee Chairmanships:
- Economic Development, Trade & Tourism – Rep. Shelley Hughes, R-Palmer
- Energy – Rep. Charisse Millett, R-Anchorage & Rep. Doug Isaacson, R-North Pole
- Fisheries – Rep. Paul Seaton, R-Homer
- Military & Veterans Affairs – Rep. Neal Foster, D-Nome & Rep. LeDoux
- Legislative Council – Rep. Mike Hawker, R-Anchorage
- Regulation Review – Rep. Lora Reinbold, R-Eagle River
- Legislative Budget & Audit – Rep. Hawker, Vice-Chair
- Joint Armed Services – Rep. Saddler, House Co-Chair
- Select Committee on Legislative Ethics – Rep. Millett, House Chair